Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Seconds


While I have a few seconds, I'm going to discuss the fate of my second. Sadly, my daughter came second. I wish that both of my children could have been first. I wish both could get me all to themselves, get carried around all the time, have nap time on mommy, and get all my energies. Sadly, the second gets the exhausted, half glazed, yet still loving eye of her parents. She doesn't get picked up the minute she cries, and her nap times must be taken alone. Since her brother can run faster and climb higher he gets more attention than she (for right now) and sadly has to lay on the floor alone while mommy "saves" her brother yet again from some dangerous and/or disastrous situation.

I suppose in some ways, coming second has it's benefits. She has more people to get in her face, and she has a built in play partner. She has an older brother to fight for her and fight with her. She has someone to show her the ropes and, hopefully, a lifetime friend.

So, while her mother may forget her birthday, she has a big brother. And that might just make up for it.

2 comments:

elnellis said...

ah, no kidding. that we might all be firsts and that we might all be seconds and lasts... ruth and i are very aware of that right now with sylas and judah... and with #3 around the corner... poor kid.

but if we didn't have firsts, seconds and lasts, we'd have no family dramas, roles and triangulations and therapists would be out of business. [i guess i'm ok with that]

glad you are blogging again.
blessings on your home and family

SRLoftis said...

Wow, you made me cry again.
I love the way Leify is with Piper... it's so wonderful... Can't wait till they grow up together...
Dite