Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Proof of a Woman


I think that childbirth is the ultimate proof of a woman. Is she strong enough to bear the pain? Or will she break down under it and demand relief? Will she be able to stand up? How well a woman does in childbirth is a test of her mettle...Or so it seems. Her character is demonstrated, her self will, her physical strength. All are tested to the fullest. Maybe that's why a Caesarean is such a disappointment. You never get to be tested in such a fearful way. I, like many women, have wondered how I would have held up. Would I have swore a blue streak, would I have screamed, would I have demanded pain relief? I may never know how I would do...I may never have the chance to prove myself in that way...However I feel like I have let everyone down.
Before I knew I was going to have a C-section I had told someone that I was willing to have an epidural and they raised their eyebrows at me...as if to say "Oh really, so your one of THOSE kind of women." But now, I have not only chosen to have an epidural, but I also chose to have a C-section. Nevermind the surrounding circumstances, I chose to have a C-section...and now I wonder...Am I really one of those kind of women?
(Secret confessions: I actually looked forward to my C-section...I knew the date I was going to meet my little person.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're a woman full of incomparable strength.

Anonymous said...

anyone can push out a baby, but it takes immeasureable strength to be the center of your whole family thru times of difficuty and pain holding up husband and child and yourself. you o' woman of valor, already know what it will take most of your generation to find out...god will give you what you need to do the job. your children will rise up and bless you.

Lian said...

Thank you, anonymous. I know in my head that there was no other way...but I will always grieve the loss of the "normal" that will never be.